Notes From the Pastor
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
  A Blank Check?
.

What if you found a blank check? What would you do with it? There are two things that immediately cross my mind. One is to figure out how I would spend an unlimited amount of money. What would I want to buy? The other would be to find the owner of the check who lost it. With that in mind let me share a couple of thoughts of where we need to go as a church.

I shared a couple of Wednesday nights ago about an organization that has basically given us a blank check to evangelize and reach our community. I attended a meeting in which I was told that all we have to do as a church is figure out how we need to minister to the lost people in our community and they will underwrite it. What a great opportunity! What does that mean for us as a church? I wonder how many of you have ever had an idea for evangelism and were told that it was a great idea but that it would cost too much? Then the idea just faded away and nothing was ever done. Well that excuse is now gone. The money is there!

The other thought that went through my mind was to find the person who had lost the check. I relate that to the people in our community that have never trusted Jesus as Lord and Savior of their life. Think about it this way. If you were the person who had lost a blank check, wouldn’t you appreciate the person who found it doing everything they could to try to contact you and return the check? That is the mindset we should have when trying to reach our community. We must exhaust every resource available to us to reach our next door neighbors, our co-workers, our family members and our friends. We are going to need to start thinking outside the box.

I challenged some of our church family on that Wednesday night to be contemplating what we need to do to effectively reach our community and now I want to invite you all to begin praying and considering about what we can do. We will have a time of brainstorming as a church family on Sunday night, July 9th for the sole purpose of developing a plan to reach lost people, disciple believers, and examine how to better our fellowship and worship together so we can minister to this community more effectively. We have been challenged to reach our Jerusalem (Grandview) and now it is time for us to be about our Lord’s work! This is an exciting time in the life of FBC Grandview and I hope that you will fervently and earnestly be praying about what we need to do with our blank check!

It is time to roll our sleeves up, get our hands dirty and wear out the knees of our pants. Daniel, Bill and I are ready to get busy. Will you join us?
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
The First Baptist Church is located on the corner of Fourth and Criner Streets near the center of downtown Grandview, Texas.

First Baptist Church of Grandview

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 /


Powered by Blogger